We all know that diamonds are a girl’s best friend and the hardest substance on earth (right?), but there are so many other fun things to think about when you’re shopping for diamond jewelry in the DC area. For example, did you know that the largest diamond ever mined weighed a whopping 3,106 carats (you won’t find anything that big here at Loudoun Jewelry on Maple Ave., or on any celebrity’s finger!)! It’s so big that it even has a name—the Cullinan—and it’s part of the English Crown Jewels in the Tower of London.
You know that 80-20 rule that works for almost everything in life (like you wear 20 percent of your clothes 80 percent of the time)? It’s true in the diamond world as well; only 20 percent of mined diamonds are of good enough quality to be suitable for jewelry of the kind you’ll find in pawn shows in Loudoun, VA. The other 80 percent are either used in industry (that hardness comes in handy) or even discarded as useless. Only 20% of the world’s diamonds are suitable for jewelry. The other 80% are used for industrial purposes or discarded because they are not worth anything for any particular industry. So when you purchase diamond jewelry at pawn shops in Northern VA, you know you’re getting only the best quality stones.
Stay tuned for more diamond and gem trivia in upcoming blog posts!